CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Catching up on memories

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Last week Dave left on a business trip to Galveston Texas. We knew there was a hurricane coming toward that area, but it seemed to be heading more toward Florida instead. On the day that Dave left, the weather channel began saying that the hurricane had taken a shift and was heading straight toward Galveston Texas. We didn't really know what to do because the storm wasn't supposed to hit Texas until Saturday and it was only Wednesday. On Thursday the city Dave was in was evacuated. He had to ride for hours in a bus to the airport and was able to get an early flight home. I was in school and in and out of the clinic with clients the whole day he was being evacuated. When I found out he got a flight home I felt a lot of relief - that was until I was driving home from school. While driving home I was listening to the radio thinking about how glad I was that Dave was getting home safe - and how grateful I was that he was able to get an early flight home. However, on the radio they began playing a mix of music and sound clips dedicated to September 11th. They played clips of phone messages that were recorded from individuals who were being held hostage on the airplanes. They all knew that they were about to die and they were calling their loved ones to tell them goodbye. Knowing that Dave was on an airplane at that moment brought the whole September 11th experience back to me. I felt the loss that people had felt that day and only hoped that Dave would make it back to me safe and sound. I realized how I tend to take my loved ones for granted at times. I realized how much I loved Dave and how much I could not stand to loose him. I realized in the back of my mind that everything would probably be okay - but I also learned an important lesson of being grateful for every day that I have with my loved ones.

Remembering 9/11


This is a newscast that was shot right outside of the hotel that Dave was staying at.

3 comments:

Andrea B. said...

Alissa- It's good to see you blogging!! That's crazy about Dave, I'm glad he made it home safely!!! And somehow, Holla, just isn't that funny!

The Jensen Family said...

oh geez that is scary!!!!

Cynthia said...

that would've freaked me out, glad everything turned out okay! Nice tribute to 9/11 - i've been wanting to write one myself but i'm so far behind in blogging i want to catch up first. I'm glad you're back in the game...of blogging anyway. When I first read your blog i thought it said "HOLA" like hi in spanish, and didn't think it was hilarious. But now that i understand it's "HOLLA'" it is pretty darn clever! by the way, are you trying to get pregnant???